Thursday, December 08, 2005

Strings from Pakistan

There are bands and then there are the ones from Pakistan. I do not know why the country is so restricted when it comes to music, movies and fun. Perhaps the religious sentiment is keeping it down.

I had a once in a lifetime chance to visit Pakistan, but then I squandered it. We were in 2nd year at IIMC and it was the historic test series in Pakistan. My friends had bought the tickets and everything and all that I needed was permission from home. Ya I did not get it and ended up not seeing one of the best test series played between the two countries. Well my friend’s went had a great time there in Pakistan and came back and told us the stories.

The movies, well no one has heard of the good ones at least, if there are any. But couple of actresses have come and acted in Bollywood. The latest one to come has been Meera, who has acted in semi-skin flicks. Well not gorgeous, but a pleasant sight to watch on the screen I guess. And at least the crowd in the stadiums justifies my argument that the Paki gals are beautiful. Better still, have you seen Wasim Akram’s wife??? Now you know why he has diabetes!

Coming to music, well there are numerous bands that play fundoo music. None of the Indian bands show this kind of machismo when it comes to the music they shell out. Be it Jal, which had the original “Woh lamhe”, which was remixed and put into a hindi movie. And recently there are many Paki songs featuring in the hindi movies. I think it is cheaper to buy the Paki songs and put them in Bollywood movies. Goa recently forwarded me a song, titled “Sutta”. The song is by a band called Zeest and it is dedicated to all smokers and dopers of the world. The music is awesome and the lyrics abusive. Has a lot of MCs and BCs in it, but it is a classic.

The most successful of the Paki bands has been Strings. I remember when we were in Engineering their first album was released, or that was when I first started hearing the song “Duur”. It caught on to us when we had just joined Patni. During our training days, we used to sing it inside the bus. And this was a popular song in the numerous daaru parties we had. Then they came back with their new album, Dhaani. It was another classic.

Well the reason for this blog is another song from Strings, called "Yeh hai meri kahaani", its an OST for the movie Zinda, starring Sunjay Dutt. The song is haunting and it gets to you after you listen to it couple of times. The lyrics are just too good and seem to be as slow and haunting as the song.

~sujith

No comments: