Monday, May 22, 2006

3 movies and some thoughts

Yesterday I saw Swades again. I realised that it can still keep you engrossed, even if you are watching it for the nth time. There is something about a movie when touches all the sentimental chords of your mind and heart at the same time.

There are movies which are fun and entertaining and attain cult status like DCH. You can watch them again and again. It is funny, sentimental and romantic at the same time. The characters are lively on the screen and subtle in their acting. Yes you can watch it again and again. But does it have any impact on you. No. It is just a movie, entertaining for the two and a half hours of its duration.

Then came movies which will leave you with a deep impression, the one time that you see it. It incites a kind of, I dont know if I can call it false feeling of emotions. I am talking about RDB. I loved it the only time I saw it. I bought a DVD, but couldnt watch it again. Maybe I will be able to see it after many months. And it is not just me, there are many people I have spoken to who have said that they cant watch it again. It was strange because I thought I liked it when I saw it in KL. RDB had that strong sense of trying to influence the way you think. It was like a one time solution, a little revolutionary way of doing things. And though some people criticise the end, I thought that is the reason why it was special.

Then there are movies which are much beyond a movie. They are seen as movies which change perceptions, change thought processes, change opinions, make you believe that you can do things in India without getting into the messy beuraucracy and politics. The songs are messages which will stay in your mind forever. Each character represents a section of our society. Each dialogue is a lesson you should have learnt in school and every scene a depiction of the condition of our society.

And to sign off, a line from one of the songs

"Mann se Ravan jo nikale, mann mein uske Ram hai"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the babes in all 3 movies....and the heroes are caught into their trap at the end... thats the moral of the 3 movies... so BOY DON'T CRY...

Anonymous said...

chaat maat , abhi dunga ek kaan ke neeche ... kat le saale ...