Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Friends and Wedding

“When I was growing up, I didn't have a normal mom and dad, or a regular family like everybody else, and I always knew that something was missing. But now I'm standing here today, knowing that I have everything I'm ever gonna need... You are my family”

Well this is what Phoebe says on her wedding in Friends. My favourite character in Friends is Chandler, for his smart comments and for his trying hard to be funny. But Phoebe is one weird character in the soap. Each one of us have these weird things to say and think once in a while, only problem with her is that she is like that always.

I wanted to write on weddings and how I missed one of my close friend’s, for a long time and as luck would have it, when I switched on the TV, I saw this particular episode of Friends in TV. So here I am…

One of my roomies, Pal got married couple of days back. I knew that he was getting married this month, but I completely forgot about it. Not that I was planning to go to India for that, but for the fact that I wanted to call him up and chat up with him. Just be part of his happiness for sometime. I did call him up today morning and he was in Goa. It was nice to hear his voice, but I felt “you-know-the-kind-of-feeling-I-cant-describe”, when he recognized my voice, when all I said was Hello. It took me back to those days we had all spent in “Happy Valley”, that’s the name of our apartment complex in Thane. Those movies we frequented in the multiplex, those Royal Stags we opened and poured into the 3 similar and 1 different small glasses we had at home, those walks to the Garden View restaurant for Chai and sutta, those morning rush to catch the Patni bus and the evening arrangement for dinner. Well some memories can never be re-lived.

He is a married man now. God! And in couple of years he will have kids. They might not come back to India, if his work keeps him there in US.

And couple of days back, I was chatting up with another close friend of mine, who is married and is also in US. We were generally talking stuff on life and movies and dinner and how she has become an expert in makin Fish curry and how guys are good at making only one thing in the kitchen, no not “mess” – Egg Curry. You can check with a lot of guys on what they are good at cooking. Don’t be surprised if they say Eg Curry. There is something between Guys and Egg curry.

So we were generally, discussing stuff on marriages. I was telling her that I would be tying the knot in the next 2 years. She gave me some advice on the whole thing and told me about life after marriage. Her final line made me think. She said sex isn’t everything; there are many things which will matter after you get married.

I was stumped. Ya there is definitely something about our marriages, right. I might know that only after I get married I guess. To top it I read this story on Lisa Presley’s fourth wedding, attended by all her ex-husbands, her two kids and the best man for the wedding was her ex-husband, father of her two kids. I fail to understand, why is it that they are not able to adjust their lives with the situations and people.

2 comments:

Bala said...

I agree with the Egg Curry part.. well atleast Egg.. u start out to make one thing, but it ends up as something totally different (mostly scrambled egg!!) .. but still very much edible!! ;)

yesbob said...

hmm. time for some serious pondering, eh. btw, I don't do egg-curry ..:D